Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Something I thought...

There are no local Latino markets here and I'm totally craving making my homemade tortillas and chicken enchiladas.

I have to say that is one of my favorite memories. Learning how to cook from Y. Her little girl fell asleep in my arms while I rocked from leg to leg in the kitchen. All the while I watched her mom cook. I still can't cook as well as she did. It is incredible,though, the desire to make something that good.

Her house always smelled like laundry detergent and spices. I loved it. Now her kids are so old- what happened to all this time! I thought they would be old enough to babysit by the time I had a baby, but I didn't realize that they would be old enough to have their own.

I hope things happen for a reason.

So, my mission this Saturday is to find my "mexi-mart." (Soooo not derogitory- just one I want to find.) The quality one- not the largest, flashiest one. The one that makes fresh masa every weekend for Sunday dinner.

Then on Sunday, I will write this down and send it to Y. Only better and it is the very least I can do for her. There is an element of art, smells, color, good writing, culture and passion missing in my life right now. The lovin' is good, but does chili really make it better like I said last Sunday? Maybe we should test it.

I love my family and all the do. I also wish that they wanted to do more things like that with me. With my goals I thought of on Monday I'm adding this- do more!!! Breathe deeply more. Ignore the trend and easy way out. Breathe "profundo."

No comments: