Thursday, April 9, 2009

Car Fire

So, I heard on the news right when I woke up this morning that there was a car fire on I-15 near Farmington that, with the lovely rain we are having, was causing a traffic fiasco.

Instead of worrying about being late- I thought of the time that my dad was driving me to school in the blue station wagon and it started smoking.

I have to write a little about it now or I will never get around to writing a lot about it today.

Basically, we were both grumpy and tired and hadn't said a word to each other that morning. We were listening to x96 and all the sudden white smoke started coming out from under the hood of the car. It wasn't very bad at first... more annoying than anything. But is quickly got so bad that we couldn't see out of the front windsheild. Then the smoke started to go gray and darker gray...

My dad, driving blindly, pulled into a Baptist Church parking lot to check it out. I stayed in the car. When he opened the hood black smoke went everywhere, but pretty much started to clear up. Ironically, my dad had parked under a huuuuuge billboard of that church's representation of Jesus so when the smoke cleared there was a saintly looking man with his arms outstretched looming over my dad's head. It was pretty surreal and I won't forget it as long as I live.

Dad hopped back in the car and said we had to go home and get the other car. This irritated me because I was always late for class and this was just going to be another one of those days. We turned around and went the 5 minutes back home with the billowy gray smoke from the hood on either side of the car. At leaset we could see this time.

We got home and I got out of the station wagon into the other car while my dad went in to explain to my mom why she wouldn't have a car for the day. He came out, got in the car and we took off. I went to school and completed my day. Nothing strange or unsual really.

When my grandpa came to pick me up from school, he told me that the other car had caught on fire as soon as we had left it. Well, I could have guess something like that would happen when my dad just dropped a smoking car off in the driveway. Apparently, my mom had to call the fire department and our neighbor across the street had to come try to help my mom keep the the interior of the car from catching on fire.

Nothing too exciting. My mom was a little upset with my dad about it, we had only one car after that, but it really didn't impact me that much. It was a funny story though.

When I have a minute more, I will write about the next car fire we had a couple years later. It's acutally entertaining for others unlike this one that is funny to me.

No comments: